Monday, November 29, 2010

Herbie Hancock redux

Responding to, long since inactive MOGGER, ksiglutz in this post from DEC 6,2006, I attempted to EMCD him based on his post about Herbie Hancock's Headhunter's Album..
Original Post (My first on MOG)..
ksiglutz,If you liked Headhunters, Check out Sextant (1972), too, for more afro-funk rhythms w/Herbie. More importantly seek out the same musicians minus Herbie on The Headhunters-Survival of the Fittest (1975). This space-funk-fusion slammer features the awesome breakbeat-vocal freakout,
God Make Me Funky.




Survival Of The Fittest Credits
Bass Drum, Bell, Percussion - Baba Duru
Djembe - Zak Diouf
Djembe, Log Drum, Cow Bells, Sleigh Bells, Guiro, Maracas, Quica, Belafon, Tamborim, Bongos, Caxixi, Shekere, Gankoqui & Agogo, Berimbou, Pandeira, Hindewhu, Conga Drums, Cabasa, Marimbula, Balinese Gongs, Vocals - Bill Summers
Drums, Vocals - Mike Clark (2)
Electric Bass - Paul Jackson (2)
Electric Guitar, Vocals - Dewayne McKnight
Percussion - Harvey Mason
Producer - David Rubinson , Herbie Hancock
Saxello, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone, Accoustic Piano, Vocals - Bennie Maupin

Bonus material:
The funkiest track on Herbie's Sextant record is probably Hornets, but that bad boy is a 19 minute long electro-funk freakout, so I'll go with the relatively pithy, but no less freaky, Rain Dance. Folks didn't mind stretching it out in the 70's..






Sextant credits:
Bass [Fender Electric Bass With Wah-wah And Fuzz],
Double Bass - Mchezaji (Buster Williams)*
Congas, Bongos - Buck Clarke
Drums - Jabali (Billy Hart)*
Effects [Random Resonator] - Fundi (2) (tracks: A1)
Engineer [Re-mix] - David Rubinson
Mixed By [Special Monitor Mix] - Fundi (2)
Mixed By [Synthesizer, Mellotron] - John Vieira
Piano [Steinway], Electric Piano [Fender Rhodes], Clavinet [Hohner D-6 With Fender Fuzz-wah And Echoples Dakha-di-bello], Mellotron, Handclaps - Mwandishi (Herbie Hancock)*
Producer - David Rubinson And Friends Inc.*
Recorded By - Fred Catero , Jerry Zatkin , John Vieira
Saxophone [Soprano], Clarinet [Bass], Piccolo Flute, Cabasa [Afuche], Kazoo [Hum-a-zoo] - Mwile (Benny Maupin)*
Synthesizer [Arp 2600, Arp Soloist] - Dr. Patrick Gleeson* (tracks: A1)
Trombone [Bass, Tenor, Alto], Cowbell - Pepo (Julian Priester)*
Trumpet, Flugelhorn - Mganga (Dr. Eddie Henderson)*
Written-By - Herbie Hancock
My premise for the post was a little off ...it seemed like I was saying the Sextant band was The Head Hunters, which it was not..oh well now that's all patched up. There's also a difference in the release year I listed originally ('72 instead of '73)...I was young and green back in '06. I will continue redoing these old school fixer-uppers cuz I can't bear the silent archive. Only a couple hundred to go. Also of note in the old post was how deadmandeadman busted my chops..that hasn't changed too much over the MOG years.

10 comments:

Nick said...

This is like the third or fourth time I have revisited this particular post since you wrote it ... I imagine I will return to it still, whether on mog or not.

I wasn't so much a fan of the Mog user experience, other than the streaming service ... this is so much simpler ... certainly a different audience. But I still can't claim to comment much on blogs. My energies are simply directed elsewhere at the moment.

Cody B said...

It's all good Brother Nick...and any comments are appreciated. Hopefully, I'll feel less needy in the new digs:)

Nick said...

Just a clarification: when I said "user experience" I meant that more of in a "design/pleasant to use" sense ... of course that was never why one was at mog ;) It was my first online social thing as well.

I met you cause of it, so Cheers!

Nick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick said...

Oh and Rain Dance ... that opening is some straight up proto-techno, this some killa shit for sure.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.cheapcanadagooseparkas.ca]canada goose kensington parka[/url] Heck, I find that attractive, and I think it is funny how it works on my brain!. [url=http://www.busesbitermi.com]dr dre beats heartbeats cheap[/url] Dskhyq
[url=http://www.christianlouboutindiscountsale.co.uk]christian louboutin uk[/url] [url=http://www.ogrelarp.com]Canada Goose Shop[/url] Siqbnn [url=http://www.pandorajewelryukonsale.co.uk]pandora uk[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.cheapcanadagooseparkas.ca]kensington canada goose parka[/url] Finally, just because a site appears at the top of the search engines, it doesn't mean that that particular site is the #1 site for that product or industry. [url=http://www.busesbitermi.com]dr dre beats cheap[/url] Etiutc
[url=http://www.christianlouboutindiscountsale.co.uk]christian louboutin outlet online[/url] [url=http://www.ogrelarp.com]Canada Goose Shop[/url] Seogyj [url=http://www.pandorajewelryukonsale.co.uk]pandora store[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

I savour, result in I found just what I used to be having a look for.
You've ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

My page - tao of badass